Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Review: Lewis Spears - They Tried to Cancel Me Last Time

Each comedy festival I always urge people when buying a ticket to a show for a big name artist to also try their luck on someone they have never heard of before. Today I followed my on advice and saw Lewis Spears. They fact that I have not heard of him before might say more about my demographic than his performance.

From walking in the room it was obvious that I was the odd one out. I was aged over thirty, was not wearing black and had no facial piercings. Lewis has a huge online following, he plays to their sensibilities and they lapped it up. Some of the audience laughed heartily from beginning to end – one audience member laughed so much she needed a toilet break!

The blurb on the festival website describes Lewis as divisive. This is an accurate description. You might call him racist until he rips into white Australia, you might call him misogynist until he also tears apart men’s behaviour. You might consider his material homophobic and anti-sematic until he focuses his attention to Hitler (no spoilers as to how he addresses both topics in the one bit).


Lewis burst onto the scene after a run in with A Current Affair, which was taken hook line and sinker to a prank he pulled off about online trolling. His take on online trolls and anonymous comments was my absolute favourite part of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment