Monday, February 20, 2012

Movie Review - Chronicle


Chronicle

This movie was noting like I expected – a superhero story that really was not as much about having super physical powers but rather the battle for emotional power and control of self.

My fear on entering the theatre was that I was going to see a 21st century take of Teenwolf. Yes there were scenes showing the three main characters going through the motions of learning about their newly acquired powers. Done with great humour these scenes (and most of them shown in the trailers) were also about teenagers discovering themselves and creating their own meaning and direction in a challenging world.

There are a few moments when the producers came close to falling for the super powers cliché, but pull back just in the nick of time.

This is not the light-hearted teen flick the trailer makes it out to be. The main story line is powerful heart wrenching tackling issues abuse, power, control (self control?), rites of passage and mateship.

As an Aussie bloke I am not meant to show any indication of an emotional response and although I did not cry (even privately) over this movie I was quite moved and talked about it for hours after.

Amongst more existential topics Chronicle did spark the conversation “if you could have a super power what would it be?”

For me it would be invisibility. Not for voyeuristic reasons but to hear what people say about me when I leave the room. It seems so much easier the George Costanza in Seinfeld when he left a tape recorder inside a briefcase to hear what the board members of the Susan Ross Foundation thought of him.

What super power would you like?

What do you want to say about even if I am virtually still in the room?

No comments:

Post a Comment